Sorts of hosting services
A hosting solution implies saving and/or sharing particular web content on a hosting server hosted by a web hosting company. There are different sorts of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's review these. Doing so, you can determine what you need, based on whether you desire to create a web portal, email accounts, or to share files with comrades and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service made available by various companies, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only objective is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions are frequently supported by showing advertisements beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a certain amount of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally unsuitable explanation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would apportion the load between independent hosts of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various web page hosting services (electronic mail, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is only a kind of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given suppliers provide a hosting solution for pictures exclusively. This hosting kind is suitable if you desire to share an enormous number of pictures with mates or colleagues since the service is commonly free of charge. You will receive a random link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your e-mail address accounts. Some distributors offer web hosting services for web pages, but do not supply an email hosting solution. If you desire to create an email address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can create e-mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a specific video clip, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file generates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a handful of video files and a few hundred site visitors, you may have trouble with your web site hosting reserves. Embedding the video will allow you to use as many video clips as you would like without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to keep a web site. To some extent, it comprises all of the abovementioned hosting groups since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and email box accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At atp technologies, for instance, you can have a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that permit you to get all of the abovementioned solutions in a single place. There may be restrictions based on the type of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are purposed for particular content only.